Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses for B/W or Color
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 19:57:29 -0500

At 04:43 PM 12/5/97 -0600, GH wrote:
>The last point Erwin makes here caught my attention.  Why is it that a B&W
>picture is a better test for the capabilities of a lens than a colour image?

The chemical processes are different.  Black-and-white uses straight
crystallization to form an image, hence the grain.  Colour films start with
this, but the grain is bleached out in the developing process, hence the
"apparent grain" we hear so much about.

I am enough of a <sigh> snob that I have trouble seeing colour shots as
more than happy snaps.  If it's art, its b&w.  This is but ONE of my many
deficiencies:  you all have seen a slew of others!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!