Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses for B/W or Color
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:52:38 +0100

>I just became a Leica owner and joined this list when I bought an M6 and
>the new 35/2 Asph.  Since the 35/2 Asph is back ordered for 6-8 weeks I
>decided to get a used 50/2 so I can use the camera.  In the course of
>finding the used lens, I had a discussion with a used Leica dealer who
>indicated that older 50/2 lenses, ser. 24XXxxx were better suited (he used
>the word optimized) to B/W than somewhat newer 50/2 lenses, say ser.
>30XXxxx and above, that were better suited to color.  He also said that the
>older lenses were sharper while newer lenses had higher contrast.  These
>differences accounted for his B/W and color film distinction.
>
>Since I shoot mostly B/W, if he is correct, I can cancel the back ordered
>35/2 Asph, buy a used 35/2 of the appropriate vintage and save money.  If
>he is more or less wrong, I should wait for the 35/2 Asph.
>
>Thanks for thoughts and comments in advance.
>
>Rob

This dealer's information is completely wrong.
 If a lens is colour corrected to a high degree it is also very well suited
for B&W, as the black and white image comprises all wave lengths. BTW: a
black and white picture is a better test for the capabilities of a lens
than a colour image.
Leica has never designed a lens optimized for a certain part of the
spectrum. All lenses are fully corrected for all relevant wave lenghts.
Olderlenses are certainly not sharper than the new ones. The confusion here
is the use of the word 'sharp' as opposed to 'high contrast'. That is not
true to the facts, Older lenses had high resolving power, but this
characteristic is not connected to either sharpness or contrast.
So just wait for the 35 ASPH. Your B&W pictures will sparkle and show more
fine details than you thought possible.
Erwin