Subject: [Leica] Contax T2/TVS Optics
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 15:18:38 -0800

Natasha asked:

<snip> How do you compare the optics of the TVS to the T2 or the best Leica
lenses in general? How is at 28mm? Is it worse at 56mm?
<snip>

I have found the 35/2.8 (or is it 38mm?) lens in the T2 to be sharp and
contrasty.  I wish it was a 35/2.  If you want to get available light shots
with a P&S, then the Konica Hexar is in a class by itself.  But the Hexar
has a larger body size to contend with.  The tiny built-in flash of the T2
is very useful for automatic fill-in.

The optics of the TVS Zeiss lens are also very contrasty.  The viewfinder
is a bit dimmer than in the T2.  I keep a filter and lens shade on the TVS
lens at all times instead of a lens cap.  It has not caused any extra flare
or glare problems.  The lens does not retract like the T2.  It is always
exposed and the little clip on lens cap is easily lost.  The TVS has a
panoramic mode that simply cuts off the top and bottom of the negative.
Personally, I prefer the Widelux F8 for panoramic shots.

If you need a zoom, the TVS is the best of the lot.  If you don't need a
zoom, I would recommend looking at the T2 or for less money, the Yashica T4
P&S that has a 35mm Zeiss lens.  This little P&S is water resistant and has
an extra viewfinder for waist level shots.  It can't cost more than $150
retail.  It is quite well made (out of plastic) and a good value for the
money.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD