Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: soft focus vs out -of- focus in an ultimate sharpness world
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:17:51 -0600

At 12:04 AM 12/3/97 -0800, you wrote:

>died; it just went underground when the f/64 guys (who don't seem to have
>known about diffraction) beat up on it.  It lives on in the hearts of the

Actually, they know very well about diffraction. But it's not a big deal
with large format lenses. They tend to be longer in focal length, and the
longer the focal length, the smaller the aperture has to be for diffraction
to be trouble. Combine that with the larger negative, and f/64 is very
useable.

The problem is for us who use wide lenses in 35mm. Like my 19mm 2.8.
Diffraction can be quite severe at f/22. I'll have to check it.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

HEADLINE:    Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge