Subject: [Leica] [Lieca] David Muench: Leica Man
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 11:59:43 -0800

At 06:42 PM 11/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>From Donal Philby's post:
>
>I remember seeing
>>Galen Rowell (35 Nikkor) and David Muench (probably 4x5 Schneider)
>>Evercolors side by side and just being so happy to find proof that I
>>don't need to shoot 4x5.
>
>There was a Popular Photo article some months back with Muench's work in
>35. I think he used Leicaflex.
>
>Nick Hunter

David Muench uses a Linhof Master Technika for his serious work. He owns a
Leicaflex SL and a few lenses. He recently has gone heavily into Canon and
their image stabilization lenses. He did a couple of *Canon* TV
documentaries on Galapagos & the Amazon. Guess where the Canon equipment
came from... Duh... However, he says, using 35 lets him be more spontaneous
to natures fast transient effects. However, he also says, "it doesn't
produce many keepers," and "I find it hard to do serious work with the 35."
"The final photographic statements with the 4x5 really get me involved."
"The 35 is great for scenes that you might miss with large format."

So I still believe that Davis's *personal* 35 is an SL & a few lenses. His
money 35 is Canon.

Jim