Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL or R3? Need help again.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 22:50:24 -0800

At 09:35 PM 12/1/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello there.
>
>I am trying to decide between a Leicaflex,  Leicaflex SL or an R3.
>Obviously cost is a factor right now so these are the choices.   Here's how
>I see it;   If I get the Leicaflex,   I can get those 1 Cam lenses which
>are substantially less money.  Now, if I do that....am I sacrificing lens
>quality?  Are the 1 cams glass as good as the 3 cam?   Now as for the SL,
>I can get the 2 cams...yes less than 3 cam,  but is the SL THAT different
>than the Leicaflex?  Now,  as far as the R3 goes....I still have to get
>those expensive 3 cam lenses.  As you can see a small dillema.   As usual,
>any help would truly be appreciated as I am going to a camera show this
>weekend and I'd like to hunt around.
>
>Thanks
>Gabe

The Leicaflex is mechanical and does not have a TTL meter. But it does have
Mirror Lock Up. You will not be sacrificing lens quality.

The SL is also mechanical but with TTL metering. It has no MLU.

The R3 is electronic and TTL but no MLU.

I've had both an SL and R3's. I personally liked the R3 better, but many
LUGgers like the SL better. You should look through both and see which one
feels best and which GG screen you like best. They are all great cameras.

Jim