Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Leica] Consensus
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:47:37 -0800

At 02:06 PM 12/1/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> I believe there is an overwhelming consensus that we on the LUG do not like
>
>I have not heard an overwhelming consensus. I have heard a small number
>of loudmouth people say repeatedly and forcefully that they dislike the
>[Leica], and heap scorn on people who do like it.  There are 526 people
>on the Leica list (some in Digest form) and perhaps 10 of them have
>weighed in with a public message. I have heard privately from 7 people
>saying that they do like it. Whatever I do, I am not going to do until
>December 15, and I don't want to see a lot of time and name-calling
>energy wasted on this issue between now and then. This list is about
>photography, not email.

Unfortunately, by changing the MO of the LUG, you've brought email into the
discussion. When you do something that directly affects me and my use of
the LUG, I, indeed, will be vocal.

I don't believe there is any name calling involved here. I have read
through all of the public responses and, even Marc agrees, there is far
more against than for.

Now lets get this straight. Out of 526 people, seven have said they want an
extra header. And those few that have spoken against fixing something that
isn't broken, are loudmouths. I don't agree.

It is amazing to me that someone can just sit down and make a change to a
very well running system, which subsequently causes hardships on many of it
members, without getting some sort of reading beforehand.

This change will cause a hardship on my way of conversing on the LUG. I,
therefore, am going to be outspoken about it. What am I supposed to do.
Roll over?

It is an ABSOLUTE FACT that the e-mail programs that the majority of
computer literate e-mail users use do all of this filtering, routing,
sorting, etc. for you. It does not have to be done at the source. As I said
before. There is no rocket science involved here.

That's my point.

Brian, this is not a personal attack in any way. It's basically to make
people aware that what you are attempting to do, is already there. It's
already in every message. And for the seven or so out of 526 that need
help, well I suspect that this is just a convenience so they don't have to
use their brain. Yet an inconvenience to a whole lot more. I've been in the
computing field (embedded controllers, networks, wireless, etc...) for 37
years. To *stick something in* that's going to effect 562 people just
doesn't seem logical. Perhaps you should take a real vote. After all, the
users ARE the LUG.

But you own the domain that the list operates from. And you, of course, may
run it any way you see fit. I'm simply attempting to impress upon
everybody, today's e-mail programs already do this stuff. And the
consequence of adding text, renders many sort utilities useless. So it's
breaking something that is not broken.

I will be quiet. I will not post another email related message to the LUG.
You indeed know my position. I'll respect your decision. I do admire the
work you have done in keeping the LUG operational, pretty much free of
problems.

Jim