Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "[LUG]" The latest in Slide Scanners/Zorki 5 and later LTM lenses
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 02:51:23 -0800

At 09:29 AM 12/1/97 +0000, Alex Hurst wrote:
>Patrick - does the Polaroid's software cope OK with the orange mask on 35mm
>colour neg film, or do you have to go thru the tedious business of making
>adjustments yourself?

The Polaroid software comes with descriptors for a number of films,
including several color negative films (one of which is a "generic" color
negative film).  You select the film that is closest to what you're using,
and you never see a negative image -- just a color positive, with the mask
gone.  I believe that most of the newer film scanners are like this.

Incidentally, after you've previewed the color negative, you're almost
certainly going to play a little with some of the controls (exposure,
saturation, tonescale, level curves, etc.) to make sure the final scan
comes out looking like you want it to.  It doesn't take long once you're
used to it, but the first few times it can be puzzling.

And just to give this some Leica content, I'll talk about something
completely different now.  I saw a message on Usenet today in which it was
claimed that the later Zorki LTM lenses (for the Zorki 5 and later cameras)
had a different cam rate than the earlier lenses, and so do not focus
properly on earlier Zorkis, Feds, or Leicas.  I find this astonishing -- I
would have thought that not even central planning could give birth to such
a dumb idea.  Is it so?  Do we have to watch out for and avoid later Zorki
LTM lenses?

- -Patrick