Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital storage/ Printer dots
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 18:42:58 -0500 (EST)

This is in response to Tom Kachadurian's very informative post on DPI/LPI/PPI.
Tom said:

>Keep these numbers in mind:
>
>600 DPI printer: 85 line screen (LPI)
>720 DPI printer: 100 line screen (LPI)
>1400 DPI printer: 150 line screen (LPI)
>
>Now, you need an image file that has a PPI of about double your target LPI.
>(You can often get by with 1.5x.) So, a 600 DPI printer needs a 170 DPI
>file. A 1400 DPI printer, like the Epson Photo needs a 300 PPI file.

The Stylus Photo, I believe, is 720 X 720. The Stylus 800 is 1440 X 720.

For printers like the 800 should we use the higher resolution, the lower,
or in-between, when figuring possible LPI?

Please understand I am not taking issue with Tom. Just a footnote.

Nick Hunter