Subject: Re: Which Metz for M?
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:22:00 -0800

Bill Barrett wrote:

> Some recent messages referring to the Vivitar 283 flash prompt me to seek
> the collective wisdom of the LUG.
>
> I've used the 283 for years, but am tired of its unreliability (in my
> experience). It will work fine for a while, but then, without warning and
> just when it's needed, gives up its electronic ghost. After tossing 3 of
> them (always just out of warranty, and after my local good repair guy has
> done what he can), I don't want to buy another. I think Metz is the right
> direction to go, but which model is best as a moderately small flash that
> will be used only with Leica M? (If you think Metz isn't the answer to my
> reliability concerns, I'm open to other options.)
>
> I normally carry 1-2 M bodies (6, 4-P or 3), 4 lenses & a meter in a small
> Domke bag. I don't often use flash, but it's good to have one on hand for
> those few occasions -- provided it works.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
> Bill
> Bill Barrett
> St. Louis
> barrettb@webster.edu (preferred address for personal mail)
> http://www.webster.edu/~barrettbBill:  I use a 283 on my camera and have for a period of 10 years.  I
shoot with it just about every day.  In my experience it is the battery
holder that goes bad and not the unit.  I have (2) 283 units that were
converted for bare bulb use. I've owned them for a dozen years and have
done literally thousands of weddings shots and school shots with them.
Only problem that I've ever had is when I dropped the damned thing at a
shoot last week.  I still worked, but the shoe broke.  If you have
external power to use with the 283 like the Armatar battery or any of the
others advertised you probably won't have trouble and can put all that
money towards another lens.
jack gottlob