Subject: soon-to-be Leica owner has questions for the experts!
From: Francesco Sanfilippo <fls@home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:07:11 -0800

I am a model photographer looking for the ultimate in image quality.  I
currently own
a Nikon F5 and assorted f/2.8 to f/1.4 Nikkor fixed lenses, from 20mm to
180mm.
I shoot female models in swimwear, lingerie and nudes, mostly with my 35,
50,
and 85 lenses.  I hardly touch my 20 and 180.  I am not disappointed with
the Nikkor glass quality, but I am impressed with the distinct look and
feel of Leica portraits when compared to Nikon or Canon on a light box.  I
want that superior sharpness and color accuracy in MY images, and for that
reason only, I am selling my entire Nikon system for a Leica system.  I
have discovered that superior lens quality is MUCH more important to
creating striking images than a fully electronic body.  I am seriously
considering the M6 with the 35 f/1.4 ASPH and the 90 f/2 as my first M
lenses.

Yes, I considered the R8, but then I thought:  I almost never go over
135mm, I want to get away from full automation, I hate using strobe, I
prefer ambient light outdoors,
I want to challenge myself technically in order to better my photography, I
don't want to worry about batteries anymore, and I want the best image
quality available.  I drifted to the M6 immediately after testing it in a
local shop.  The silence, portability, and obvious mechanical perfection
amazed me, and I want to be a part of this Leica family.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is the M6 the right choice for me, now that you know a bit about my
shooting style, or shall I consider the R8 a bit more carefully?

2.  Are there differences in quality between the M lenses and the R lenses?
 I have been told that the M lenses are slightly better.

3.  Is Leitz glass truly "Number One?"  What about Contax G2 and Carl Zeiss
optics?
Do they compete, quality-wise?  Shall I consider them?

4.  Which M lenses are the ABSOLUTE best (regardless of price) when it
comes to sharpness and color-accuracy?  Is a 35 and a 90 a perfect starter
kit, or should I consider the other fast lenses like the 24 ASPH, the 50
NOCT, and the 75 1.4?
Remember, I am making this serious professional decision for only one
reason.....
to get better quality slides for enlargement and digital scanning.  I need
FAST lenses
(so I don't have to use strobe) that are super-sharp wide open and all the
way down with no vignetting or aberration.....they must also be the best in
color accuracy, with no color casting.   Which M lenses fit the bill?  Are
R lenses better?

5.  Is there a reason to choose between black, chrome, and titanium, other
than an aesthetic one?  Is the titanium more sturdy and element-proof?
 Will it hold its value more than the others?

6.  Sometimes I shoot in inclement weather or along the seashore with my
F5, worry-free.  Can I expect the same level of durability against mist and
salt from the M6 or R8?

Thanks so much for your help, ladies and gentlemen.  I hope you will
welcome my comments and questions on this list, as I will be making this
 purchase in the next 2 days and will be asking many questions as I adjust
to the new system.

Thanks again....please email directy to fls@home.com if you can answer
today or tomorrow, since I need advice immediately and the next list may
not be out by then.