Subject: Re: Erwin Puts on Solms and Oberkochen
From: use_reply-to@address.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:37:59 GMT

>There are also no important
>differences between Japanese and German design philosophy. Again a
>marketing myth. Read my report in the current issue of FOTO about the
>Solms and Oberkochen discussions.
>Greetings
>Erwin

Thanks for the tip Erwin. In the news stand I found the first part of
your report, in which you basically say that the approaches of Zeiss
and Leica are very similar in that they both work with extremely high
quality specifications and very advanced as well as labour intensive
manual quality controls. The main difference being that Zeiss allows
tolerances of separate lens parts to cancel each other out, where
Leica still prefers to compensate for the tolerances of each
individual lens part. As a result centreing each lens part becomes
even more important in the Leica production process.

I am looking forward to reading the second part in which you will
compare Japanese to German lens making.

Kind regards,
Leo Verwoerd <leover@knoware.nl>