Subject: Re: Leica/Nikon/Canon
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:25 +0000 (PST)

Dan Post wrote:

> Kodak has a digital camera based on the Nikon N90s body; the N90s
is
> apparently a favourite with journalists, and this made it familiar
> those
> mose likely to buy.

Er...excuse me? I don't know about other areas, but in the UK the
F90 & F90x (which are the equivalent models) have a *DREADFUL*
reputation among journos. It may be smaller & lighter than the F4,
but this is negated by the fact that you have to carry an extra body
for when it breaks down.

> Fujix also has a camera built along the same lines.
> Both
> are really nice, mega-pixel cameras,

The AP NC2000e is OK, not as good as the DCS3. The Nikon/Fujix E2n
would be hard to call nice under any circumstances.

Sure this stuff is expensive, but you can build an Excel model which
calculates the real return on this investment. In a press context the
value of an image is often a steep function of the speed of delivery,
and that's what gives these things (and the laptop & GSM phone to go
with 'em) their payback potential. Constructing a similar business
case for Leica glass vs Nikon glass is - IMNVHO -
virtually impossible.