Subject: Re: Leicaflex vs Nikon F
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:35:47 +0000

>Stephen Gandy wrote:
>
>>From DAY  ONE  of its introduction in June of 1959, the Nikon F offered
>>a list of accomplishments which to THIS DAY  no Leica SLR has matched!
>>Nikon built its reputation on technical innovation which no other
>>manufacturer could match in the 1960's.

And Lucien commented:

>Except Leica lenses and that's the more important.

On the other hand, look at the relative prices. Excellent old Nikkors for
the F are available at very reasonable prices - probably a third to a half
what you'd pay for the Leica equivalent.

And some of them like the 85/1.8 and the 105/2.5 can give even Leitz glass
a run for its money.

That said, I can nearly always tell which shots I've taken with my M2 and
M3s, and which with my venerable F and F2s. They're both equally crisp, but
the rendition of the Nikkors is a little more clinical and less plastic.

Is that something to do with superior Leica 'bokeh'?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists