Subject: Re: User Report GR-1
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:32:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Is a 28mm lens suitable for field work? My favorite is still the 35mm lens on
> the Minox 35.
>
> Bob

       Bob,
   Many may find the 28 too wide.  For my purposes it works out better
than a 35.  The GR 28mm with its f2.8 maximum aperture focuses to about
1.2 feet which allows a photograph of an area the size of an average
computer screen.  It is well corrected in this range.  In tight quarters,
e.g., in a restaurant trying to get on everyone at one table without
standing on the table behind you, it's a great convenience.  My favorite
general purpose lens is, in fact, the 35mm or 38mm.  I feel that there is
enough of a difference between the focal lengths to justify a second
compact camera with a 35 or 38mm, or even a mid- to longer-range zoom.
   One of my local shops is selling a Minox GT-X.  Based on what you have
said and my examination of it, it might be an ideal compact for the
semi-wide range.  What do you think of this model?  Should I look at other
Minox models?  They want $350 for the GT-X.  Is that too much?
Is there a mail order place you know that carries a comprehensive line
of Minoxes and good prices?
   Thank you for any insights you may have here.    Tom P.