Subject: Ideal second "M" body
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 18:13:29 GMT

In message <Pine.BSI.3.95.971123091121.5752A-100000@comet.connix.com> "Roy C. Zartarian" writes:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Phil Payne wrote:
>
> > I have twice been stuck with Leicas because of knocking the rewind
> > knob and jamming the spindle - once with an M4 and once with an M4P.
>
> This is a new one, at least to me. Could we get some more details of the
> mishaps so as to use an M4 with appropriate precautionary measures?

Well, I don't really know _how_ I did it.  It happened (as I said,
twice) in the early 1980s.  On both occasions, it seems I tapped or
hit the part of the rewind knob that protrudes on the left end of the
camera and bent the rewind spindle.  In both cases, the result was the
same - the next attempt to advance film succeeded only as far as there
was slack in the cassette.

I was living in Germany at the time (in Hofheim/Ts) and dropped both
cameras off at Leitz (in those days, in the 'new' Versandzentrum) for
repair.  They said such things were rare but not unknown.

- --
 Phil Payne