Subject: Re: Need lens advice - Choice between 90 & 135 R.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:29:57 -0600

At 09:14 PM 11/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi there.  I'm looking for a great all around lens for my R4s.  I use an M6
>and have an R4s that I need a lens for.  I've never been the biggest fan of
>the 50mm,  so I'm looking on some advice for a great, sharp lens that I can

Do be so down on 50s. The Summicron R is a great lens. Some of my best
pictures are taken with 50s.

There are lots of good deals for used R lenses. The best deals, it seems to
me are 28 Elmarits ($495+ if you don't need mint) or 90 Summicrons ($550+).
The 90 Summicron R is actually reported by most users I know to be better
than the M version. But maybe that's because it's easier to focus. I had
one (and am getting one as I speak) and never hesitated to shoot wide open
for the most critical uses. And with the extension tubes, or Elpros, did
very well in closeup too.

The 90 Elmarits are outstanding lenses, and the latest version is really
fine. I've even seen some reasonable prices in the past on 60 macros. And
they are very good lenses, at infinity and closeup. And the 35 Summicron Rs
in EX+ condition I've seen for less than $700.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.