Subject: Re: "Roundness" a mythical construct?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:33:59 -0500

At 08:50 PM 19-11-97 PST, you wrote:

>In his books _Collecting and Using Classic Cameras_ and _Collecting and
>Using Classic SLR's_,  Ivor Matanle talks about the "roundness" that can
>be seen in images taken by older lenses (before the computer designed
>multicoated lenses of the 1960's and 1970's I assume).
>
>I've stared at these images in his books and I really can't see what he
>is talking about.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>-Dave

I have the same book.  Most of the pictures in it that he so lovingly
refers to look like that have bad cases of flare.  Of course it is
difficult to make judgements about photographs that have gone through a not
particularly careful book printing, but I didn'y find his photos very
appealing.

Dan C.