Subject: Re: Would Perfect Lens have Bokeh?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 01:15:30 GMT

At 19:01 19/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
> My understanding is that the term "Bokeh" refers to the way the out of
> focus parts of the photograph appear.  You cannot eliminate Bokeh without
> eliminating the out of focus portions of the picture.  The Bokeh can either
> look nice, or not so nice, and is determined in part by the mechanical
> construction of the lens (aperture blades) and to the extent that certain
> aberations (I believe spherical is the main culprit) have been controlled.
> Dan C.

I'm just wondering about the trade-offs here, and how others would choose.
What would I go for, given a choice of a Leica lens with very nice, ie soft,
out-of-focus areas and very good but not fantastic resolution of detail, or
a "better" lens with exemplary resolution but less of a smooth out-of-focus
look. At the moment I'd definitely go for the former in most cases, since
the resolution of fine detail, although a worthy goal, is not top of the
list for lens characteristics for me. Fast lenses with limited depth of
field where desired and a good "blur" seem to be mostly what I like
nowadays. For some stuff maximum resolution might be a priority- but that
would be only a small proportion of what I do. If the best lenses always
made the best pictures, life would be simple.

Joe Berenbaum