Subject: Re: Cold Equipment
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:10:57 -0500

Donal Philby wrote:

> The central freezer area is at 20 degree F and most of the workers
> worked in shirtsleeves.
>
> I would shoot both in the central freezer and in increasingly warmer
> (less cold) areas that surrounded it.  Keeping the gear fog free was a
> real experience.  We worked from the outside in.
>
> And at the end of the day I would put gear into Halliburton cases and
> walk out into 90-100 degree afternoons.
>
> Donal Philby
> San Diego

I once had to do a shoot in a food distribution freezer. They wanted 4x5
transparencies. Wish I could have used a Leica (or even a 'blad - sorry
Marc). Anyway, FYI, I brought a small hair dryer to keep in my view
camera case so that my Polaroid film would stay within range for its
developing temperature. Just had to keep it plugged in all the time.
Kind of felt like our brethern in colder climes plugging their engine
block heaters in at night. I didn't worry about the camera temperature
while using it as once they had equilibrated with the environment there
was no problem. Just kept them in cases before loading back in car after
shoot.

Carl S.