Subject: Re: Boring Zeiss Stuff
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:42:15 +0100

At 19:33 17.11.1997 -0500, Marc J Small kindly & patiently clarified
my Zeiss confusion:

>The "Distagon" and "Flektogon" names are applied to the same formula.  When
>the Zeisses divided, Western courts awarded the rights to the Carl Zeiss
>trademarks to the West German guys, and so Oberkochen got "Sonnar",
>"Planar", "Distagon", and "Tessar" to play with.  The result was that the
>East German Carl Zeiss Jena folks used "S" and "T" for the Sonnar and
>Tessar and invented the new names, "Biometar" and "Flektogon" for the
>refigured Planar and the Distagon.

Looking at my chromes, I estimate the CZJ 4/50 Flektogon's performance as
a kind of MF 2/35 non-asph Summicron results, best version :), with an
outstanding pleasant presentation of visual reality, incl. beautiful bokeh
or color management - but more sharp. Further, I've never seen another
lens which could compare to the sharpness of the CZJ 2.8/120 Biometar,
which's bokeh (unfortunately) compares to the one of the 1.4/35 asph.
Summilux.

Alf