Subject: RE: Retrofocus Whimsey
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:16:06 +0100

Marc J Small wrote:
>Well, much as it pains me to admit EVERYTHING invented by Zeiss isn't
>perfect, any retrofocus lens will simply NOT perform to the same standard
>as a REALLY GREAT non-retrofocus lens.  The difference will be minute, but
>it will be there.

N Sekha wrote:
<<<
But there is one very big disadvantage with non-retrofocus lenses. They have
a big vignetting problem. The only way round this is to have a ND center
filter, which corrects this but it costs two stops. So effectively the lens
is tow stops slower. Example: the 16mm Hologon for Contax.
Retrofocus lenses on the other hand do not have this problem.

I want to believe you, but, unfortunately, I couldn't find vignetting
problems from my 4.5/38 Biogon. Further, even if existing, I like my 3.4/21
M SA pix more than from the 4/21 R SA, or from the 2.8/21 non-asph of a
friend of a friend :)

Alf