Subject: Re: Airport hand inspection
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:19:37 -0800

At 12:08 PM 11/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Then I asked for the supervisor and insisted the film not go through as
>they could see what the hell it was and I just couldn't take any chances.
>
>And it didn't go through. But that is the only time it ever happened since
>I started using freezer bags.
>
>ted

I have saved every (well almost) clear (not frosted) Fuji film canister
I've ever had. I put all of my film in these canisters, and the canisters
in clear plastic freezer bags. I have never had to run my film through an
x-ray. I lay it/them on top of the coin/keys trays when walking through the
metal detector. It seems to always work.

Once in Italy, I was in a long line to the x-ray machine and the attendant
didn't want to take the time to do a hand inspection. I said "ASA 5000,
please please please" and he then did it, but wasn't happy. I now try to
have enough extra time at the airport so that if there is a line, I can
wait until it is either very short or non-existent so the attendant doesn't
feel hurried.

A recent note I just received from Kodak says that their tests show no
effects. The problem there is that Kodak does not operate or maintain the
x-ray machines throughout the world. It's best to not take a chance. I'm
sure that sometime, somewhere, everyone will have to run their film through
an x-ray machine. But if you can avoid it 99% of the time, it gives peace
of mind.

Jim