Subject: Re: Ebay Caveat (Patrick) etal
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 01:24:23 -0500 (EST)

  Patrick - Since you have bought only one small item at Ebay &  I had
  at least 10 winning bids spending about $3000 last month there,  I offer
  you one bit of warning; Inexpensive items are OK  but never offer to sell
  a $4000 lens like Jim is speaking of.  There is the possibility of the lens
  being returned to you for a refund after the buyer has used it for just one
  special job rather than paying a rental fee of maybe $225 for a week-end.
  I also know personally of one scammer from Florida that actually gets
  away with bidding against himself,  to jack the price up - and also sets
  reserve prices so high that nobody meets them and he then has a good
  idea of the market price for a starting point.  There are so many scams
  going on at internet auctions that all I can say is "Caveat Emptor" and
  may God be with you.

  Marvin
<<
 I'm not one of these net evangelizers, but one of the things the net offers
 us is a rationalization of prices through the creation of a large
 competitive market.  If you can use the Web, there's little reason to pay
 anything but reasonable prices for photo equipment.  And conversely,
 there's no reason to sell your old photo equipment at a 40% loss to dealers
 if you can sell it for retail prices on EBay.

 -Patrick