Subject: was : Salgado & assnt. & TV crew!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:20:34 -0500

Donal wrote:

<<<<Makes you wonder at the "reality" of documentary films when they go in
with 4-5 person crew (not to mention attitude, in my experience).>>>>

Hi Donal,

A couple of years ago I had an assignment on a woman suffering from ALS,
the Lou Gerhig disease and I had asked that she and her care giver carry
right on as though I wasn't there.

The reponse was, "Yes right! Just like that TV crew who were here last week
and said, "we'll be like a fly on the wall, you'll never know we're here!"
And there were 8 in the crew!!! The shooting took place in the home and how
the hell a documentary TV crew of 8 can be "like a fly on the wall?" is
hard to believe.

I mean it's tough enough being a single Leica toting photojournalist
working in confined quarters and trying to be unobtrusive, let alone a
video crew be unobtrusive.

ted