Subject: Re: Choosing and R series 35mm focal lenght lens
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:54:59 -0800

At 01:53 PM 11/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear LUG:
>
>I need a 35mm focal length lens for my R8. As you know, the current choices
>are the Summicron and the Summilux. The Summicron does not having a floating
>element in it and is rumored to have a loss of focus below 1.4 meters. The
>Summilux has a floating element, but has more elements and greater weight.
>
>I am checking in to see what experince has been had with these two lenses.
>Also, does any one else suspect that there will be an aspheric version for
>the R series due out soon?
>
>Cheers, Pete

Leica says, The 35mm f/2.0 is one of the best high-speed wide angle lenses
and not susceptible to flare from strong light sources in the picture. I
have one of these and it's true.

Leica says about the 35mm f/1.4, specially designed for work in poor light,
outstanding optical performance even with high contrast subjects,
vignetting is present at large apertures, especially with difficult
subjects such as walls or blue skies. Leica also says, "In spite of the
fairly large filter diameter (E67), the use of a circular polarizing filter
is not recommended due to vignetting."

The Summicron and Summilux are clearly two different designs, intended for
different purposes. But a good lens is a good lens. I like my Summicron and
didn't upgrade to the Summilux because I take mostly 'scapes and nearly
always use a polarizer. The extra stop was of no value to me. I'm usually
at F/8.0 or better.

FWIW,

Jim