Subject: Re: Advice on 21 S/A
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime)
Date: 13 Nov 97 11:23:00 GMT

Hear, hear,
I acquired my first (in '83) in lieu of losing my Canon 25mm f3.5 lens, the
insurance company were persuaded to believe that this was the nearest
available equivalent. Good insurance co.!
That was a chrome one with a black metal finder, they were stolen in '96,
and replaced last year with a black one and plastic finder (with the broken
feet...) The compactness is something I love, in the small (tall, upright)
Leica holdall, I can get my M6/35 Summilux along with 50mm (at the bottom of
the second compartment) and a 90 tele-Elmarit coupled to the 21 with a 'back
to back' (grey...) coupler with an extension ring in place (on top). Even a
kodak slide box containing 9 filters (48mm) too.
Although the S/A doesn't work with the M6, even though some books or
catalogues say they should after a certain serial number - which mine is,
it's not too hard to remeber what the last exposure was with the previous
lens, or even place another lens back on to take the reading with.
Sharpness is wonderful, so too is the close (14") focussing, and flare
repression is such that I've never felt compelled to buy the lenshood. Mind
you, the earliest ones are now 400GBP or so - ridiculous...

jem

There are very few in the used market esp the f3.4 version.  I bought one,
have never regretted it and will keep using keep it inspite of the ASPH in
the market.  It is much more compact than the current version.

Dan K.