Subject: Re: Long Way Around Dept.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:03:09 -0800

Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> would not the ideal be to do high res scans, manipulate in photoshop and
> then output to large format BW negative, then go into the darkroom and
> create magic. --Donal Philby
> That's like flying to NYC from LA by way of Bombay.
>
> Bob

Bob:
The point is that we often would like to "clean up" images, work on
shadow detail, get rid of scratches (or telephone poles sticking out of
someone's head), and in general fix things that require more than just
simple burning and dodging.   BW is no different than color.  I have
many images that are "almost" --that a bit of photoshop would make
marketable or stronger.  Going back to a neg and using traditional
processes makes just as much sense as when I scan color transparency,
manipulate in Photoshop and re output to transparency and send to my
stock photo agency.  It is one way of going to NYC from San Diego and
actually arriving with images that might sell.

Donal Philby
San Diego