Subject: Re: Airport Security
From: "bill erfurth" <photophoto@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:33:58 PST

>I just thought I'd recount what happened to me going through airport
>security with my M6. I handed my camera to the attendant for a 'hand
>inspection' since it had film in it. In an efficient manner she then
popped
>off the lens cap and looked through the viewfinder, and then handed me
back
>the camera. It's good to know the travelling public is well protected
from
>terorists who might hide explosives in their camera lenses.

Hi Jacques,

Airport security in the U.S. is a joke...and a bad joke at that.

Your experience is typical.  The other thing they do is take a lens out
of your bag, remove the front lens cap, hold it up to the light to look
through it, replace the cap and place it back in your bag.  The problem
with this is that they don't remove the REAR lens cap.

Two weeks ago at O'hare in Chicago I had this idiot open 125 film cans
one at a time and look inside.  I was going to ask him what he was
looking for, but I didn't.  He only openned the black cans.  I have
another 100 or so semi transparent cans with colored paper incerst in
them that he didn't look at.  He was also not interested in the film in
up opened boxes.

Next time you see these people in action just remember that you are
paying for this CHARADE with part of the cost of your airline ticket.

Regards,
Bill