Subject: RE: Oxymorons and pre-visualization
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 9:15:14 -0500

Jim wrote:

>But the word
>"pre-visualization" sounds like an oxymoron to me. You can visualize
>something, but how can you do it before you actually do it? ;-)

For those of you whom English is a second or third language:

Webster's dictionary states that the word visualize means:  to form a
mental image of something not visible.
Oxymoron is a figure of speech in which contradictory terms are
combined or used together.

Ansel Adams coined a number of phrases and had some thoughts that a
number of experts will tell you are not technically and
sensitometrically (sic?) correct.  (Whoops, don't start another Adams
thread please)

I would personally define pre-visualization in photography as:  the
process of forming a mental image of how a photo will appear in it's
final form.

I'm like Frans in that I too like to sketch out photos.   Usually it is
something that requires lighting but I try to have a always have good
sense of how I want to photograph things before hand.  I like to scout
out locations, observe what goes on, figure out what I want to capture
on film and then figure out how to get it and what I need to get that
shot.  But then again, I'm a one man show and having shots planned out
means I have exactly the equipment I need and I can work faster.  It
also gives me time to think without the pressure that comes with being
there with all of your stuff and having everyone saying are you ready
yet?   I can think about what little things I want to include in the
photo or not include.  I can decide on how sharp or unsharp I want the
background to be and whether I want it to be dark or light.  Am I going
to get green casts from fluorescent lights, flare from windows etc.
etc. etc.

I know some of you will say that photographers shouldn't get locked
into an idea before hand.  But that's the purpose of scouting a
location.  I know more or less what happens and what is going to
happen.  So the specific mental images I want to capture on film come
in part from scouting it out before hand and knowing the subject well.
If you don't think out a complex photograph, chances are you will find
that a lot of the details are not properly taken care of and the final
image will suffer.

For travel type photography I almost always first walk around and look
at the location or study the subjects a bit before shooting anything.
I get better shots that way, it gives me time to look beyond the
subject at the background and figure out what's going on around the
scene or other possible places to shoot from.  I also get past the
initial excitement of seeing the subject and thus concentrating on it
while ignoring the surroundings shooting style.

But then again I work for a non-profit organization and I develop my
own film so I have need to be conscious of how I'm using God's film.  I
also often shoot with slides, b&w and color neg at the same time, so I
need to get things right from the start or I end up  putting a lot of
film in the circular file  (garbage can).

For what it's worth,

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador