Subject: Minox: the story from Usenet/Long
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:18:53 +0000

I picked this set of posts up from a search on the ML. It seems to cover pretty much
everything and should answer most older Minox 35 questions.

From: amm@netcom.com (Alex)
Subject: Re: Pocketable 35mm
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:36:28 GMT

I currently own three Minox 35 cameras:  the (original?) Minox 35EL,
the Minox 35GL, and the Minox 35GT.  The differences are all
electronic and minor (GL adds a background compensation switch --
totally unnecessary since you can adjust the ASA film speed dial,
and the GT adds an electronic self timer.)

The lens is great.  I would shoot lots of Kodachrome 64 and 25 and
project onto a large wall (specially prepared with titanium-dioxide
photographers white paint) using a Leitz projector.  My friends and
I would evaluate all sorts of cameras by shooting wide-open at
night, shooting with the sun hitting the lens elements, etc...
This comparison has done during the early 1980's -- so naturally
we compared the Rollei 35S (friends), 35SE (mine), Olympus XA (mine),
and so on.

The Minox 35 and XA were great street cameras.  You could take one
out of your pocket and use the camera one-handed.  The fold-down
lid on the Minox 35 seemed to offer better protection than the
clam shell on the XA.  The electronic leaf shutter on both cameras
were essentially inaudible, the Rollei mechanical shutters were
extremely quiet.  Of course, the XA was a rangefinder, but I guess
I was pretty good at "guess-a-matic" focusing that I'd use the
XA or Rollei at f5.6 or f8 and the depth of field would cover my
little mistakes.

All three of my Minox 35 cameras are broken.  Did you wonder WHY
I had three in the first place?  The first camera (35EL) just
suffered one too many falls onto hard floors or crashes while
on my bicycle.  The 35GL suffered from period electronic failures,
the shutter just wouldn't fire, but the camera would let me
advance the film anyway.  I think the humidity (in my pants
pocket or bicycle jersey) was, on occaision, too much.  Eventually
the shutter stopped firing at all.  The 35GT picked up were the
35GL left off, and after a similar couple of years of VERY HARD
life, it too went the way electronic death.  I must emphasis
that I consider the Minox 35 cameras to be very durable compact
electronic cameras FOR THEIR TIME, and I was satisfied with
the service they provided me in the rain, dropped on the ground,
sat on, stepped on, and so on.  Each camera probably had upwards
of 300 rolls of film shot in them.