Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #744
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:33:42 -0500

Kirksal Turk wrote:

<<<<<<<When I was a press photographer I didn't call myself
"photojournalist". To me, the term is a bit pretentious, like "journalist"
instead of reporter".>>>>>>

Kirksal,

A man after my own heart to some degree!  When I worked as a "newspaper
photographer" I was very proud of the term news photographer and all that
went with it as a great career! On the spot and involved in everything.

"Photojournalist" was someone who did that LIFE, LOOK, DER STERN & PARIS
MATCH magazine stuff.  Sure I aspired to be a "photojournalist" like those
really cool magazine guys and gals with those little bitty Leica cameras!
At the time I never thought photojournalist applied to me because, "Hey I
was a news photographer for a newspaper carrying a 4X5 Speed Graphic and
right proud of it! :)

I have always related to a photojournalist as a "teller of stories with
many pictures."

However today the term "photojournalist seems to apply to newspaper
photographers doing "spot news and the like." And used by every Tom, Dick
and Mary who carries some kind of 35mm camera and takes street pictures,
Whatever the hell that is?

And yes, the news photographers are telling a story with the usual "1
picture event" and they do it extremely well, but that doesn't make them
"photojournalists in the original meaning of the word."

I realize times change, shooting styles and subjects change and the
"photographer image changes!" Unfortunately not all for the good! But like
you, I wouldn't change any of what I've done over the past 40 years and
also like yourself, I'd do it all over again! But it sure as hell would be
with a "raise!" :)

When I give lectures to young aspiring "Globe trotting photographer
hopefuls", I lay it right on the line about wars, death and injury. I try
to have them understand they really don't want any part of it, no matter
how many of us who went before, have died or survived.

Then I realize that away back when I went to cover my first war, if someone
 told me I could get hurt, killed or come home some what deaf, I wouldn't
have listened anymore than these young guys are listening to me at the
moment.

The next best thing to do? Tell them everything you know about how to
survive and come home alive! You might as well do some good, as you know
they are going to go no matter what you tell them. It is  Capa, David
Douglas Duncan, Larry Burroughs, Paul Schutzer and Eddie Adams who made it
look "exciting" even though some of them didn't come home. But they left a
legacy of great photographs and excitment that unfortunately many young
guys and gals aspire to. And no amount of explaining, is going to deter
them from being a "photojournalist!" Covering wars and strife.

I just realized this is the eve of Armistice Day,  November the 11th. In a
way the topic is apropos even for the photographer-photojournalists who
didn't come home.  Lets not forget them either!

ted