Subject: Re: Off topic -- digital
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:01:13 -0600

At 07:54 AM 11/8/97 -0800, you wrote:

>would not the ideal be to do high res scans, manipulate in Photoshop and
>then output to large format BW negative, then go into the darkroom and
>create magic.

I don't think so, since we're talking ideal. I'm of the belief that the
digital process just can't match the chemical process yet, and because of
the refined nature of the best black and white materials, it's going to be
some time before that's going to change. I have yet to use a scanner (best
$17,000) and output device (Kodak dye sub printer $8,000 or Tektronix
Phaser at $16,000) to even come close to TMax 400 or 100 or Delta 100,
Oriental Seagull VC fiber paper and a V35 enlarger. Maybe I'm just not
working with big enough files. But I don't think any dye-sub printer or
paper is good enough, yet.

Color seems to be easier to do with high quality in Photoshop and dye sub
than with Kodachrome and Ilfochrome. But when I've seen top quality
Ilfochromes, (I'm not a color printer by any stretch of the imagination)
I'd still have to give chemical processes the edge for absolute quality.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

One should never generalize.