Subject: Re: New 35-70 zoom
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:08:53 -0800

Dave Rosen asked:

<snip>I was offered a deal too good to refuse on one of the new Leica
35-70mm R zooms.  In a fit of impulsivity, I ordered one....>Now I'm
wondering what I've gotten myself into.  Anyone have any experience with
this lens?
<snip>

I have been using this lens on my R8 for the past 6 months.  It is one of
the best made mid-range zooms I have seen.  Fairly light weight, imploying
a few high index elements, one aspheric surface and an all metal mount we
have expected from Leica.  Yes it is made by Kyocera.  And it is well made
by Kyocera too.

The maximum aperture of f4 is bright enough in the R8 for good focusing.  I
have changed the split prism screen to the plain ground glass and focusing
remains accurate.

Close focusing and "macro" is excellent with lens.  I use the 60mm and
100mm apo macro lenses from Leica.  The 35-70 zoom is fine for macro work
that does not involve flat copy work.  The 100mm apo is in a classs by
itself for this type of project.

After six months, I am very pleased with this lens.  The 28-70 Leica zoom
is not close focusing.  I selected the 35-70 due to its zoom focal lengths
and the ability to focus closely when needed.  You didn't make a mistake by
ordering one.

Enjoy it.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA

  Heresay?  Heard any rumors?  I know that this lens is made