Subject: M's effective base lenght (was : M5 v M6: conjecture v reality
From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 13:31:57 -0500

Curt wrote:

>On page 26 of the Leica Compendium, Jonathan Eastland indicates the
>"Rangefinder Base Length. 68.5mm" for the M5 and on page 35 he lists tha=
of
>the M6 at 49.9.  Are these absolute base lengths as opposed to effective=

>base lengths?  And, if he intended them to be absolute, he is surely wro=
ng
>because the M5 finder windows are not 20mm farther apart in the M5 than =
in
>the M6.  This issue is something we haven't had much discussion about in=

>LUG.  What do you think?

In Viewfinder volume 28 number 2 second quarter 1995:
Page 8 from a letter from Alan Morris, Bethesda, MD

M3   0,91 X 68,5  =3D 62,3 effective
MP   idem
M2   0,72 X 68,5  =3D 49,3
M4   idem
M5   idem
M4-2 idem
M4-P 0,72 X 69,25 =3D 49,9
M6   idem
M6J  0,85 X 68,85 =3D 58,5

Roy E. Moss , the Editor, asked to Sherry Krauter
of Golden Touch Camera Repair for review.
She validated the above figures.

I think that the figure of Jonathan Eastland's Leica Compendium
was from the former issue of the Viewfinder (vol. 28 Nr 1 page 11)
"First Impressions of the Leica M6J" by Ralph Childs who wrongly stated t=
he
M5 Range finder Base Length as 68,5 (a wrong "cut and paste" ??)
The letter of the next nr was an answer to that article.

What is funny is that a lot of Leica user still think that the base lengh=
of the M6 & M4-P is smaller that the one of the M2, M4 & M5.
I think that the 28mm frame is the responsible of that belief.

Results of the effective Base lenght contest:
(if the above figures are accurate)

1 =3D M3 & MP            =3D  62,3
2 =3D M6J                =3D  58,5
3 =3D M4-P & M6          =3D  49,9