Subject: Re: Larry Burrows & Tim Page
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 97 14:52:54 +0200

I wrote:
>>The fallen ones in particular should be remembered. I just
>>think that this is a rather stale way of proceeding.
>>Especially since there have been many conflicts afterwards
>>and serious media problems related to them. Study them and
>>dedicate the findings to the courageous ones.

E. Welch replied:
>So we're supposed to forget them, and not talk about them any
more? >This was ONE SHOW, in the context of a major history book
coming >out. Like the old saying goes, "Those who don't remember
history are >condemned to repeat it."

Do you ever actually read what people write? I said very clearly
that they should be remembered. In a bit more significant way than a
coffee table book etc.

>So, big format books are only supposed to be cute animals and pretty
>flowers and mountain scenes? (Sarcasm mode off.) Ever see Gilles
Peres' book Farewell to Bosnia?

Yes, I've seen it. I'm equally convinced that there the images are
essentially wasted. This type of photography is for the newspapers
and magazines that common man reads. And then he (hopefully) votes
for the peacemakers. There is essentially no impact via coffee
tables.

>I'm not trying to be hard on you, but I refuse to accept the idea
>that we Americans are pathetic because we don't attack topics the
>way Europeans do. That's a bit snobbish, and rather ethnocentric.

I never said anything about americans that you try to claim. Again
you are just twisting and generalizing for your own purposes.
Introducing this ethnocentricity and bringing about the other
accusations. You do that all the time. Sometimes you tag others
liars (Marvin recently, a completely misguided post from you) and
what ever. Whatever it takes to launch you into the daily bout of
electronic diarrhea.

Into /dev/null you go.

Kari Eloranta