Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #740
From: TEXWORKER@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 19:21:49 -0500 (EST)

I have really enjoyed all the battering on this and that in this journal.

By far I really believe the APO lens and by definition they should be.
 Chromatic lens were color corrected.  What they did not tell us was they
were corrected as best they could then. (in the 1930-1940)  Many years later
I discovered this means two parts of the light spectrum were corrected for
convergence and a third part as best they could.

Some time later Lithium Florided crystals were polished as a lens and it was
shown that a greater part of the light spectrum would converge using this
material. I am not a optics engineer, but using new glass, aspheric shaped
lens  all parts of the spectrum  came to a focus, regardless of the color
frequency.  Fine telescopes first used this idea.  ( for god's sake some
engineer speak up  and get me out of this hole)

I first notices this when I purchases  a 100mm APO  f2.8.  Those of you who
use automatic focus cameras have forgot how hard it is to turn a knob and
immediately come to the perfect focus.  With the 100 apo  lens the searching
process with the knob is not so much a hit and miss proposition.  You find
the point very fast.

With the 180 mm apo 3.4 this did not show up as much as the 100mm apo.  I
owned for a time the 280 mm apo 2.8  worked very fast also.

I now have on order a 70-180 zoom apo.   From reading this fine journal, I
will look forward to receiving this fine article..    I just learned, that
Leica  is giving a $500 rebate an I took advantage  when ordering.

My favorite lenses are the 15mm, the28mmPC, the100mmAPO, 180mm APO 3.4,
and believe the new zoom will join this lists.

By the way, the longer the focus of the lens the better the correction or the
more useful the APO glass is.

I am sure an Optics man can better say it and I envite him or her to better
vocalize this information.

clifton
(texworker@aol.com)