Subject: Re: If Eric Says So
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:35:48 -0500

At 11:11 PM 11/7/97 -0600, Eric Welch wrote:
>...just because LHSA (I don't get it,since I'm not a
>member, but is it a Leica ad?) puts it on their back cover doesn't mean
>it's true. How could they possibly trademark APO when Zeiss invented it?

The list on the Leica Catalog covers all trademarks which Leitz or Leica
has advised LHSA are its protected property.  In other words, Leica has
told LHSA:  These babies are ours!

'APO' is shorthand for 'apochromatic':  the basic concept was NOT invented
by Zeiss.  Without my OED at hand, I cannot be certain, but I believe that
Sir Isaac Newton invented the term, and, from Dollond onwards, the idea of
using three lenses to improve chromatic performance has been much discussed.

I do not know who has the trademark on 'APO' but I won't argue with either
Leica or Zeiss if they tell me it's theirs:  they can hire more expensive
lawyers than can I!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!