Subject: Digital
From: kturk@fielding.mvsu.edu
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 00:00:25 -0500

At, 07 Nov 1997 10:44:13 -0800 Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:

>Still, I really enjoy having a dry darkroom and I recommend >it to you. Does that trash can under the tree there bother >you?  A matter of 15 seconds' work and it's gone without a >trace.  Hmm, would this look better if flipped >horizontally?  That takes a couple of seconds.  How about
>burning in this limited area -- it's a funny-shaped mask, >but it doesn't take long to make on the screen.

Many people are concerned now about the value and validity
of the digital darkroom. Tradition seems to be again pushed
out of the way. Ever since photography started people have
tried to manipulate the image by either using filters or
employing special darkroom tricks. Digital manipulation
delivers the darkroom to your fingertips. You can create a
solarization or posterization in seconds without working the
long hours in the darkroom, inhaling poisonous gases and
dissolving your clothes in alkalines and acids. The darker
side of digital imaging is in the ease to produce fraudulent
evidence or to distort the truth.

It's easy to understand the temptation to 'improve' a  photo
at the stroke of a few keys.
As you all remember, a photographer superimposed the head of
TV personality Oprah Winfrey on the body of actress
Ann-Margaret for a cover shot on TV Guide. More recently, a
slight change in the tone of a Time cover created a big
controversy with racial consequences. To illustrate the
sensational O.J. Simpson murder case for its June 27, 1996
issue, Time's photo staff took his Los Angeles Police
Department mugshot and electronically darkened it for
artistic effect. What resulted made him look heavily bearded
and, in the view of many, sinister. Blacks took immediate
offense and accused the magazine of racism and of turning
Simpson into the symbol of the stereotypical menacing black
male. Time editors were horrified by the outcry. James R.
Gaines, managing editor, wrote a full page apology in the
next issue noting that the changes had been made to give the
photo an artistic look and that, in his words, "no racial
implication was intended."  This kind of electronic
manipulation is rare in news magazines, given the criticism
and the memory of these cases. Some manipulation photos used
in more featured oriented periodicals, however.

This is nothing new in photography, it has been done for
ages by other means, but, digital manipulation has more
potentials to bring many ethical questions in the future.
Respectfully,

Kirksal Turk
Asst. Professor of Journalism
Miss Valley State University