Subject: M5 v M6: conjecture v reality
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 22:11:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi Group -

There has been a thread the past few days about the M5.  A fellow user wrote
to the group seeking some advice about keeping or selling his own M5.  His
questions were well-founded and sincere.  While many of the responses were
genuine, it appears that some of the notions folks have about these cameras
were conjectural rather than factual.  For example, I had written:    =20

>>The M5 meter is far more selective than the M6 meter (and every bit as
>>accurate and dependable).=A0 The camera also has a self-timer and is=
 overall

and the response was:

>I'm sure it's very dependable, but there is no way it's as reliable as the
>M6. It's the difference between a comparatively fragile arm that swings in
>and out vs. a solid state sensor.

Now, that's what I call conjecture.  Well reasoned, perhaps, but nonetheless
not factually grounded (I get hammered all the time at work if anything ever
even sounds like it could be construed as conjecture so my ears are
particularly well-tuned to its sound).  The arm of the M5 isn't in the
slightest bit fragile.  I suppose if one sticks their finger in through the
throat of the camera (using a mounted LTM adapter) and plays with it it
could be damaged.  What are the numbers supporting the theory that these
metering systems are in "no way as reliable as in the M6?"  Much of the
metering system in a friend's 12 year old M6 has been replaced.  The meter
in my 20 year old (and well used) M5 is still flawless.  This, of course, is
but one anecdote.  But, I've sure heard lots of complaints on the list of
others in the M6s.  BTW - the battery issue is also a non-issue.  Your
favorite Leica repair person (I do hope everyone has one - mine is Sherry)
can recalibrate (accurately and with linearity) the meter.  I also see adds
for a device that converts a silver cell to the same voltage and current
(the most important factors) in the back of Shutterbug.

There seems to be a persistent notion that the M5 was a mistake made by
Leitz.  Could be.  But when did Leitz ever say so?  Seems I've read that it
wasn't well accepted because of its looks and size.

From a design and user perspective the M5 has a few tremendous benefits:

1) The M5 is an "aperture priority" manual exposure body (the M6 is "shutter
priority") - so to speak.  DOF is probably the most critical imaging concern
of any photographer and is key to all photographic composition.  With
certain limiting extremes, shutter speed is not.  With the M5, one sets the
appropriate f-stop and matches needles with the shutter speed wheel.  The SS
shows up in the finder to boot.  Try that with an M6.  If one is merely
trying to get a right-on exposure, I guess making the exposure adjustment
with the diaphragm will work - but for me I only do shutter speed priority
when shooting sports with my F4s.  Seems pretty counter to the notion of the
Leica logic of imaging - particularly since you can hand hold down to 1/8
sec with a normal lens.  And most of us need control over DOF - I certainly
do, don't you too?  Why then would anyone want to preset the shutter speed
and then adjust for proper exposure with the diaphragm?  This would screw up
most of my images but good.

2) Self timer.  I sure do use this all the time...when I forget my cable
release or I want to take a picture of myself.

3) Extremely rugged body - like the M3 and M4

4) Anti reverse rewind (it's also on the bottom of the camera and much=
 bigger!)

5) Much longer effective rangefinder base length (68.5mm v 49.9mm) than the
M6 for focusing accuracy with longer lenses.

6) Much longer battery life for the meter.  Will last about 2 years and the
meter doesn't come on of the top of your case bears slightly on the shutter
release.

I realize and respect the fact that others may not like the M5 after having
used one for years.  O.K.  This is a very subjective issue.  We all have our
own tastes. But have these folks owned one (and used it) for years?  The
main reason I'm writing this is that I bought into much of the negativity I
had heard on this list about the M5.  Thankfully my thinking was turned
around by one far more experienced in these matters than I.  After using an
M5 (hard) for a few months, I went out and bought another.  Subjective
issues aside, this body handles like a dream.  It is unfailingly accurate in
metering - and far more useful since one knows precisely what's being
metered.  The camera has the same Leica-type "feel" as the M3s and M4s I've
owned - the M6 certainly does not.

My hope is that our LUG member doesn't act too capriciously with regard to
his future with the M5.  This body is probably the most underappreciated M
body ever built.  If anyone wants to sell theirs, please let me know first!

Regards,

Curt