Subject: Re: Flare -- Part II (fwd)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:40:26 -0800

At 08:03 PM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Subject: Flare -- Part II
>
>I may get into the R-system and would want to
>buy only flare-free R-lenses.  Does such a creature exist?  If so, which
>are the flare-free R-lenses?  Thank you for the time and attention given
>my questions.  I enjoy this listserve and will soon submit my roll-call
>entry.
>                 Tom Pastorello, Ph.D.
>                 Syracuse University, NY, USA

Well... flare free is a relative term. Most fixed focal length (new) R
lenses are "flare free" but you have to follow the rules. NO filter. Very
very clean front lens surface. The angle that the sun hits the lens front
surface.

I take pictures which include the sun, all the time, with my Leica R
equipment. Including the sun in the frame is entirely different than the
sun, outside the frame, rays hitting the lens at an oblique angle. This
WILL cause a reduction in contrast and you can see it happen right there on
the ground glass. In these cases you can shade the lens.

But the direct rays from the sun within the frame, at least with my lenses,
does not seem to be a problem.

Jim