Subject: Heavy Lens Support Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 08:38:11 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

After getting my first R8 and a bag of lenses, I purchased Leica's lens
ring (?STA) for using the 100/2.8 apo macro on a tripod.  The ring fits
snuggly around the lens with it's own tripod socket for added support and
improved balance.

I also use the 80-200/4 Leica zoom lens.  When you mount this on the R8 and
then combine it with the Apo 2X extender, it gets very heavy.  I tried
using the STA ring on this telephoto lens combination.  It fits around the
zoom lens but the little red dot on the len deforms the edge of the STA.  I
guess I could cut out a little piece of plastic on the edge of the STA so
it would fit better on this zoom lens.

Does anyone know if Leica or an aftermarket company makes an accessory
tripod support that won't interfere with the use of the 80-200 with 2X apo
extender? I would like to use the whole thing on a monopod.  I am getting
to like monopods better all the time.

Thanks for the reply.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD