Subject: Re: Viso?
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 97 23:52:58 -0400

>What can you do with a Visoflex? Is it a macro only device, or are there
>long lenses that can be used with it. Finally, what's the difference
>between a Viso I, II, and III?

Hi, Tom

For an M you want a Visoflex II or III. Both have the normal M bayonet
mount, although some Viso II models were made in LTM.

Because the mirror box sticks out the front of the camera, normal M
lenses can be used only for extreme closeups, because the depth of the
box acts as an extension tube.

However, older M-mount 90 and 135mm lenses can unscrew from their
focusing mounts, and then screw into a special focusing mount made for
the Viso. They can then be used normally and will focus to infinity. The
Elmar and Hektor 135mm need an adapter tube to fit between the mount and
the lens. The f/4 Tele-Elmarit (same formula as the current one, but the
older mount) can screw directly into the focusing mount without an
adapter. Even the 90 Summicron and the f/2.8 135mm lenses can be
unscrewed and used on the Viso. A few lenses, such as the 90 Elmarit,
were even available "naked," with no focusing mount, for use on the Viso.

The Viso had a family of long-focus lenses in 125, 200, 280, 400, 560 and
800mm focal lengths. Some of these lenses have a V suffix for Visoflex
(as in Telyt-V). The older lenses have a large thread mount, used on the
Viso I, for which there is an adapter for the II and III. Later lenses
have the normal M mount and just bayonet directly onto the Viso. Leitz
also made a special 65mm Viso lens; it's the shortest focal length that
can be focued to infinity on the Viso, and is an excellent macro lens as
well. Later there were adapters to let you use some Leicaflex lenses on
the Viso, and V lenses on the Leicaflex. Several other companies, such as
Novoflex, made Viso lenses as well.

THe Viso II and III are different mostly in how their mirrors work. The
II must have its mirror reset after each shot, with a little lever on the
side. The III has an instant return mirror mode and a quiet mode where
the mirror rises slowly, and a couple of other modes. The III can be
removed from the camera in one piece, the II must have its prism housing
removed to mount and unmount it. The III is bigger and taller than the
II; it's tall enough that it leaves an empty space between the bottom of
its prism and the camera top plate; I'm not sure, but I think this is so
it can be used on the M5, which is taller than a normal M body. The II
will definitly not fit an M5. I don't think either will fit a CL.

Leitz offered the Viso to address the shortcomings of a rangefinder
camera, and it was an alternative to purchasing an SLR for macro work and
to use long lenses. Until the Leicaflex came along, this was the only way
to do these kinds of photos with Leica gear. It is almost an entire
camera system to itself--in addition to its lenses, it has a large number
of focusing mounts and adapters and extension tubes, a bellows unit,
different finder units, etc.

Although it can't compete with an SLR, especially for handheld shooting,
it's very comfortable to use on a tripod. All lenses must be stopped down
manually (many Viso lenses have "preset" apertures, where you set your
shooting aperture with one ring, focus wide open, then turn a second ring
to stop the lens down to the selected aperture). There is also no way to
do TTL metering, unless you use an M6 and raise the mirror to take a
light meter reading. I've found it an enjoyable and simple rig to use,
and have been using it a lot lately to photograph small objects in a
studio setting (I have a Viso II).

The old M-mount f/2.8 90mm Elmarit and f/4 135mm Elmar (both of which I
use) are terrific lenses for use with the Viso. When I first started
using it, it took a little while to get over the strangeness of looking
into the viewfinder, and knowing that I was actually seeing through my
faithful 135mm Elmar. The Viso has given this lens a whole new career in
its old age.

Viso stuff seems to be a bargain compared to a lot of other Leica stuff,
especially considering its high build quality.

- - Paul