Subject: Re: Thanks for sound advice and another question: Why is that?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 20:31:50 -0800

At 09:52 PM 11/4/97 -0500, Jorg wrote:
>Dear Ted et all.
>
>In rec.photo.equipment.35mm one guy made the comment:
><<<<<<<<<<<< You think it bad on the newsgroup,  you should see how it is in
>photo schools.
> RIT, Boooks, Art Center you name it.  Lots of times students will not talk
> each other.  If they do, it's only interdepartmental.  The Industrial
>people
> don't talk to the Illustrative people.  Image Science definitely will not
>talk
> to General Photo and so forth.
>Photo has always been that way.   As a whole, it is not a group that hangs
> together.
>Larry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>

>How sad!  Why is that?

As far as I know, it isn't.

When I attended Brooks, it was like one large family. All departments,
disciplines, levels, etc. communicated very well with each other. Of course
in any school, or large group, there is bickering between individuals...
somewhat like the LUG on occasion, but it's not deep rooted. I have been
back to Brooks many times. I attended the 50th anniversary and alumni
reunion in October of 95. It was a ball. We attended the current graduating
class' graduation, audited classes, basically had the run of the place.
Ernie Brooks Jr. (the current president) is a personal friend of mine and
he has never indicated that such animosity has ever existed between the
various disciplines. I don't believe it has or does.

Brooks is a very special place.

Perhaps Larry is the loner. And Photo HAS NOT always been that way. I have
NEVER experienced what Larry is talking about. I have attended field
workshops put on by Art Wolfe, Rod Planck, Pat O'Hara, and the like. The
groups have always had a real "camaraderie" feeling. Like Brooks. Like the
LUG. Sharing.

I also belong to the StockPhoto list. There doesn't seem to be any
hesitation about sharing among these people. I still think the problem is
with Larry's point of view.

From what I've heard about "rec.photo.equipment.35mm", count me out. Seems
like a mis-information e-mail list to me.

Jim