Subject: Re: 35mm M lenses
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:01:22 -0500 (EST)

Eric had mentioned:

>The difference in price between the old lenses and the Summicron ASPH
>aren't that much. I'd say bite the bullet and get the Summicron ASPH. You
>won't regret it. It's very small.  And sounds like a real performer. You
>might own this lens for the rest of your life. What's a couple extra
>hundred bucks?

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps there may be a reason the older versions
of the 35/2 command such high prices.  I am using a 2nd (six element) 35/2
from about 1969.  I owned the 8 element 1st version previously.  I shoot B&W
exclusively.  The rendering of the image by this (6 element) lens is
unbelievable.  The saturation and gradation of the tones (irrespective of
emulsion) is phenomenal.  Sharpness (aside from the corners at lagre to
middlin apertures) compares favorably (even under an 8X loupe) to my
Hasselblad images.  OTOH - Iused to own a late (sn 3.4 mil) Tele-Elmar 135mm
and was very unhappy with its rendering on B&W.  I suspect coatings have
some effect here.  But, before reaching for my checkbook to grab the latest
and greatest, might want to investigate a bit more!

Would love other comments/testiments on this subject of the influence of
coatings on imaging quality.

Regards,

Curt