Subject: Re: I respectfully agree with Ted ;-)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:55:35 -0600

At 04:21 AM, you wrote:

>readily. Today I covered the same terrain and all those opportunities were
>gone. I made no exposures. The light had lost its revelatory edge that the
>subjects demanded. What would be the object of firing off a few rolls of film
>for some statistical chance of success?

I think Ted is right . First of all, all the film in the world shot in a
boring situation will give you a lot of boring pictures. That much is true.
But sometimes you have to shoot a lot of film, simply because as you shoot,
you begin to see new things. If you stop, you might miss the best picture
that only comes as you begin to whittle away the lesser pictures.

And in many situations, the shutter speed is low, or the subjects moving in
ways that make missed shots happen more often than one might want, or expect.

But it takes talent and experience, and an idea of what you want to
accomplish to make it work. Like you said, statistics are pretty much
meaningless in art. But then, small numbers are statistics too.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My Karma ran over my Dogma..