Subject: RE: Need Advice on B&W films
From: PhotoZone <fotozone@efn.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:24:39 -0800

At 11:32 PM 10/31/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I've actually started using T400 CN for all my photos. I'm just not set up
>for good process control on developing and the T400 is handled by a
>competent local lab that does dip and dunk C-41 for $3.00. At its true
>speed of 200 ISO it produces grain as fine as TMax100 to my eye. The
>tonality is better than what I was able to get with the 25 ISO films. T400
>can also be used at 800 with loss of shadow detail but respectable grain
>and no change in development time (due to it's chromogenic image).
>
>A caveat to this discussion is that there is, of course, no one best film
>in each category. The characteristics of the films coupled with their
>development and the paper used to print them (among the most obvious
>variables) will combine to produce a wide range of results.
>
>The suggestions we have are reasonable starting points, but trial and
>frustration are the only way to find exactly what you're looking for.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Charlie
>
>I have heard good things about T400CN. But I want something I can develop
myself. How difficult it is to develop C-41 by yourself? Anyone tried it?

>Thanks.
>
>Natasha

I'm told by a Kodak rep that T400CN can be developed in Xtol, and that this
gives a very nice scale with the grain of TMAX 100.  Straight Xtol for 8 min.
at 68 deg.  I'm not sure that the results are better than using TMAX 100, but
the speed would be double (ASA 200).  Of course this would also be twice the
price of TMAX 100.

Herman Krieger