Subject: Re: Leica R questions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:57:03 -0600

At 08:40 AM, you wrote:

>For cameras I have been most pleased with the Leicaflex SL.=A0 I find the
>focusing screen particualrly well-suited to these longer lenses, and even a
>bit brighter and smoother than the screen in the R-4SP and the R-6.=A0 The=
 SL's
>are solid, reliable, and again, available at a reasonable price ($450-550)=
 in
>decent shape.=A0 For metering, I use an incident meter.

I agree with you on the 400 6.8 being a great lens, but the SL is not the
best choice for shooting soccer. It has no motor. The SLMOT is not a good
choice either, too big and clumsy, and expensive! I've seen an R4sP in the
current Shutterbug for $395. Worth every penny! And a Motor R for $299. A
grip for the motor R costs $75 and is worth it. Nice cheap outfit to run a
Leica lens on.=20

As for the maximum aperture of this lens, it has only two air-to-glass
surfaces, and the light loss is minimized by that. Makes it pretty much the
equivalent of a 5.6 lens from other manufacturers that have more
air-to-glass surfaces. I had one and only sold it when I got a 280 2.8.
Long ago, and I still miss the 280. Glen Chambers, a well-known wildlife
photographer in Missouri is using it now, and promised if he ever sells it
to offer it to me for the price he paid for it. (Boy, I hope he remembers!)
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I'm still not sure if I understand ambiguity.