Subject: Re: "N" Cassettetes / Dan
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:34:14 -0500 (EST)

 Dan - etal

 The Leica New type "N" (IXMOO/14006) cassette is suitable for all
 Leica models & replaces the earlier "D" which was for the LTMs.
 The problem seems to be that Leitz wasn't aware that a problem
 existed until many early model M6s were already on the market &
 then offered a compatible replacement (but the user had to buy it).

 If you will take off the camera bottom & examine the locking device,
 or better yet just try it with a cassette, you can tell if it will work.
 I dont imagine that too many M6s were made this way and not too
 many people load from bulk anymore because of the long & short
 leader tongue problem.  Leitz used to make a special template
 (ABLON) that was used to cut a perfect tongue as the older Leicas
 needed the longer tongue to load easily.  Many pros will pre-load
 extra film onto spare spools for rapid loading.

 Marvin
<<
 At 01:38 AM 28-10-97 -0500, Marvin wrote:
 [snip]
 >  If you are considering loading & using bulk film in the M6, first check
 >out your baseplate.  Of course this applies to the Leica "N" only and
 >there are dozens of reloadable & disposables also available.
 Marvin, what do you mean by Leica "N"?  My M6 is a Leitz Wetzlar version.
 Is it old enough to have the proper baseplate for opening Leica film
cassetes?

 Dan C.