Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:40:32 -0600

At 09:36 AM, you wrote:

>Ansel Adams MF pix are a loss, his LF pix are in the center of attraction,
etc.

Alf,

I was mostly agreeing with you, but this statement is not right. Ansel's
pictures that he shot with his Hasselblad - for example Half Dome with the
moon - were just as important and inspired as anything he did with 8X10.
His abilities, derived in no small part from his connection to music, not
camera equipment, transcended technique or hardware. His best portrait in
my estimation was done with a Contax rangefinder and 50mm lens.

His philosophy was to carry the heaviest camera he could. That led to a
Leica R4 at the end of his life. Still good eye, still good pictures.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes